DC 37 Lesbian and Gay Issues Committee
President, Local 1930
Executive VP, Local 371
Meetings scheduled for the 2nd Monday of the month.
DC 37 established the Lesbian and Gay Issues Committee (LAGIC) in April 1990, extending the union’s commitment to uphold the civil and human rights of all workers.
LAGIC supports all union members in the lesbian, gay, bi, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) family by increasing their visibility, affirming their dignity, and promoting a non-homophobic workplace environment. LAGIC heightens awareness of LGBTQ issues by sponsoring educational forums and participating in union activities.
LAGIC sponsors educational, political and social events and participates in community activities of interest to LGBTQ union members. Our goals are to:
- Eradicate homophobia and discrimination in the workplace.
- Assist LGBTQ members with grievances related to workplace discrimination.
- Educate DC 37 members regarding LGBTQ issues in the labor movement.
- Monitor and lobby for all legislation affecting LGBTQ rights, including statewide and federal anti-bias legislation and anti-bullying legislation.
- Assist and advocate for all DC37 members with HIV-related concerns.
- Embrace the youth of our members by holding educational seminars and rap groups concerning peer pressure, sexually transmitted diseases, bullying, etc.
- Conduct community outreach.