Sign up For DC 37 News


DC 37 Health & Security Plan Benefits

Important Information for DC 37 Members About to Retire

For medicare-eligible* retirees who are eligible to receive a pension from NYCERS/BERS/TRS/NYSERS/CIRS
* Medicare-eligible = age 65 and/or disability


You must be a DC 37 member, Medicare eligible, and be pension eligible under NYCERS/BERS/TRS/NYSERS/CIRS.

City Health Insurance

You may wish to refer to the City of New York’s Health Benefits Program Summary Program Description booklet.

Complete a Health Benefits Application form.

Apply for Medicare Parts A and B at your nearest Social Security office. If you are retiring before or at the age of 65, ` apply for Medicare Parts A and B in the three months before your 65th birthday. You will not be eligible for Medicare Parts A and B until you reach your 65th birthday.

When you retire and are age 65 or over, you must have Medicare Parts A and B to continue your City health insurance. The premium cost of Medicare Part B will be taken out of your Social Security check. When you retire, you and your eligible dependents will be reimbursed for the cost of Medicare Part B once a year.

In order to be reimbursed, you must apply to the New York City Health Benefits Program by sending a copy of the Medicare card and a copy of the stub from the member’s pension check with a note advising the City to update their records. Be sure to include the member’s name, address, telephone number and Social Security number when you send in the copy of the Medicare card. Send the information to:

City of New York
Health Benefits Program
40 Rector Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10006
(212) 513-0470


Medicare is the primary health insurance for retirees age 65 or over (unless covered by a working spouse, in which case Medicare is secondary). City health insurance is the secondary health insurance. If you are retired and receiving Medicare Parts A and B, you may choose a supplement to Medicare or a Medicare + Choice (formerly Medicare Risk) health insurance plan.

The transfer period for retirees to change City health insurance plans occurs during the open enrollment period of even-numbered years. There are exceptions to this rule. There is a once-in- a-lifetime opportunity to switch City health insurance plans, which you may use after being retired at least one year. If you move out of your City health insurance plan’s service area, you may switch health plans within 31 days of the move.

The cost for the City health insurance and any riders will be deducted from your monthly pension check.

For DC 37 members who are employed by the State, please contact your Health Benefits Administrator/Payroll Department for up-to- date information on your New York State Health Insurance Program or you may contact the Employee Benefits Division, Department of Civil Service, State of New York, The State Campus, Albany, NY 12239; Call (518) 457-5754 (Albany area) or 800-833- 4344 (outside Albany).

Social Security

a. Social Security Benefits for Working Members 65 Years of Age or Over

If you continue to work beyond your 65th birthday, you are eligible to receive Social Security without a reduction in your Social Security benefit, regardless of income.

If you choose to receive your Social Security benefit at your 65th birthday and continue to work, you do not have to apply for Medicare Part B.

To waive your Medicare Part B benefit, advise your Social Security Office that you are working and covered under an employer health insurance plan.

For additional information pertaining to this benefit, contact your Social Security Office three to six months prior to your 65th birthday. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

b. Social Security Disability Benefits

If you are under age 65, receive a City pension check in addition to a Social Security benefit, and are notified by the Social Security Administration that you are eligible for Medicare Parts A and B, do the following:

In order to continue your coverage under the City Health Benefits Pro-gram, you must accept your Medi-care benefit and notify the Office of Labor Relations.
Make a copy of your pension stub, a copy of your Medicare card, and write a note requesting that your information be updated and send them to:
City of New York
Office of Labor Relations
40 Rector Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10006

The Office of Labor Relations will notify your health plan.


Once you have vested in your respective Retirement Plan (i.e., NYCERS/BERS/TRS/ NYSERS/CIRS), you may retire. You may contact the District Council 37 Health and Pension Services Unit not more than 6 months prior to retirement at 125 Barclay Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10007. Call (212) 815-1200.

DC 37 Health and Security Plan Benefits

Send a copy of the stub from your first pension check and a copy of the Health Benefits Application form (ERB2000) to District Council 37, Attn: EEU–8th Floor, 125 Barclay Street, New York, NY 10007 or fax the information to (212) 815-1218. This will ensure that you receive the DC 37 Health & Security Plan benefits available to retirees.

DC 37 Annuity Fund

To find out whether you are eligible for the DC 37 Annuity Fund, how and when you can withdraw the money or to ask any questions about the Annuity Fund, call the Annuity Plan Administrator at (212) 815-1888.

The Annuity Fund is a tax-deferred savings plan. Most members covered by the 1995 Municipal Coalition Economic Agreement, who were on active payroll from June 1, 1996 through May 31, 1997 and who were on active pay status on June 1, 1999, are eligible for an Annuity Fund benefit.

When you retire, you have three options: 1) you may receive a cash distribution, 2) you may request a direct rollover to another tax- qualified plan, or 3) you may leave your money in the Annuity Fund for later withdrawal.

Deferred Compensation Plan

If you participate in the City’s Deferred Com- pensation Plan, you must contact the City of New York Health Benefits Program, 40 Rector Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10006, or call the Deferred Compensation Plan at (212) 306-7760 to obtain a distribution packet. The distribution packet must be returned to the Deferred Com- pensation Plan within 60 days after you retire.

Change of Address or Dependents

If you have a change of address or change of dependents, it is important to notify the City of New York Health Benefits Program, 40 Rector Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Also notify the DC 37 Health & Security Plan, 125 Barclay Street, New York, NY 10007, or call (212) 815-1570.

For More Information

For information about the DC 37 Health & Security Plan benefits, contact the Inquiry Unit, DC 37, 125 Barclay Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10007 or call (212) 815-1234.

For pension or health insurance information, contact the DC 37 Health and Pension Services Unit, DC 37, 125 Barclay Street, Room 314, New York, NY 10007 or call (212) 815-1200.

For information about the Retirees Association of DC 37, call (212) 815-1781 or visit them in Room 980, 125 Barclay Street, New York, NY 10007.

You may have other issues and/or policies (e.g., Long Term Care) under New York City or New York State. This information is not all-inclusive. You may wish to consult a tax accountant/advisor.