Local 95 Head Start Employees
ATTENTION: DC 37 members in Local 95 employed by agencies that are in the Head Start Sponsoring Board of New York City for Local 95, see the following important information below:
- Please click here to view the Summary of Major Modifications in your health insurance with Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield effective August 1, 2023.
- Please click here for important contact information on your health insurance with Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Please click here for important contact information for domestic partners and spouses for alternative health insurance with the Marketplace.
- Please click here to fill out the online survey for Collective Bargaining Negotiations.
For additional information regarding the changes in the District Council 37 Local 95 Head Start Employees Health and Welfare Fund, visit our website or contact the District Council 37 Local 95 Head Start Employees Health and Welfare Fund at (212) 343-1660.
Beginning Wednesday, January 19, 2022, you can order free rapid COVID-19 test kits through the government at the following website www.covidtests.gov.
A total of four test kits can be ordered per household.
Call 1-800-232-0233 to order the four boxes of free COVID-19 tests.
Feel free to share this information with your family members, relatives and friends.
REGISTER BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS BELOW
State –mandated workshops needed for certification.
Preparation classes for NYSTCE certification exams and all other classes.
For more information, click here.
Important Notice to Members of Local 95 New York City Head Start Members Who Participate in the Head Start Sponsoring Board Pension Program
Members Diagnosed with COVID-19 to Apply for Workers’ Comp
While the union does not provide legal representation in Workers Compensation matters, we advise members to file paperwork if you contracted COVID-19 while on the job, or in th line of duty. If you would like to consult with an attorney, you are free to choose any attorney you wish to represent you in a Workers’ Comp claim. For a list of Workers’ Compensation attorneys, please CLICK HERE.
Contact Information and Resources for DC 37, Local 95
- Linda McPherson, President of Local 95: Lmcpherson@dc37.net
- DC 37 Non-Profit and Private Sector Local 95 website Address: www.dc37.net/about/locals/local95
- Resources for members in DC 37 Non-Profit and Private Sector Locals
- Mount Sinai Selikoff Centers for Occupational Health
- Empire Pandemic Response Reimbursement Fund
- FEMA COVID-19 Burial Aid Program
- NYS Vaccine Info: https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/
- NYS Vaccine Info: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/coronavirus/vaccines/covid-19-vaccines.page/
- Member Resources, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
Who We Are
More than 2,000 Head Start employees, who work at over 200 centers throughout New York City and Long Island, are members of Local 95. This program has been the nation’s premier early childhood education program.
Rather than concentrating solely on the child, Head Start focuses on the whole family, making sure that parents receive help with a wide range of family needs from housing to employment to parenting education. This pioneering education program has earned the respect and support from all sectors of U.S. society – Democrats and Republicans, business and labor.
Yet, despite the program’s proven record of success, most Head Start workers throughout the country are paid close to the minimum wage. However, because of its strength and organization, Local 95 members are among the best compensated Head Start employees in the nation. This local, for example, has successfully negotiated for a pension plan for its members with full credit for back service. This victory and other gains at the bargaining table have shown others the benefits of joining a union.
DC 37 is at your service during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here for more information.
We Work As
Head Start employees.
We Work In
The New York City Early-Learn programs.
In the News